Wednesday, March 23, 2011

COLLEGE IS NOT REAL LIFE.

http://kcarroll-family.blogspot.com/

First of all, I agree, that title was definitely eye catching. I also agree that it's important for college students to meet as many people as they can and try new things. However, since my schedule is so full and busy, I find that it's somewhat difficult to get involved in other areas of the college. She was correct in discussing the diversity of this university- I have met people from all over the country who have different ideas and customs and it's fascinating to get to know them and compare and share lifestyles. I differ from the writer when she claims she has less freedom here than at home. Now I love my family to no end, but I definitely have more freedom here. I'm on my own, making my own decisions, no one's here taking care of me. Although this college is wonderful and has several programs to aid and support students, it's up to the students to seek these programs out. I disagree with both this blog and the original blog on the statement, "we don't have to clean". False. Yes, the public areas are cleaned for us, as well they should be. I still clean my own room which I consider my home so to me, it's just the same as if I were home. I still have to clean here. Also, not to hate on the cleaning lady, but our bathroom is NASTY. My suitemates and I eventually took it upon ourselves to start cleaning the bathroom and we created a system for removing the trash daily. We don't like gross bathrooms, so we clean it. Cleeeaaaannn. Now I don't work like this girl does or pay bills. I'm fortunate enough to have parents who are willing and able to support me. However, I still have very little free time. Being a music major requires a ridiculous amount of practice and performance time. Top that off with everyday homework and you've got one exhausted college student. I do understand that a lot of other majors aren't as demanding as my own or they are in a different way and therefore a vast number of college students do have ample free time. I, like this blogger, am sadly not one of them. I do agree that we get to try out being on our own along with a million other students doing the same thing. We are on our own, yet we still have each other to lean on and go through this experience with. I do agree that college is not real life though. We do have several advantages that we wouldn't if we were living in an apartment in the city by ourselves. We have security, prepared meals, and several other on campus amenities to aid and comfort us. The ant farm analogy though... What???

No comments:

Post a Comment